[CT Birds] Goldfinches

ALEXANDER BURDO alexanderburdo at mac.com
Sat Dec 19 14:55:59 EST 2009

The American Goldfinches have finally returned to my feeders. They follow a pattern every year.
I only feed birds in winter, because I'm not able to do it consistently during the warmer months. I'll start every October and the pattern goes like this:
Remain absent for two months until reappearing in small numbers in December, growing until reaching a peak of 45 birds at one time (probably many more than that) then dwindling down to nest. Last year they shared the feeders with 3 Pine Siskins.
I've heard goldfinches were late nesters but I know they're not this late. Maybe it still has something to do with this. hm........

Good Winter Birding!

Alex Burdo