[CT Birds] Question on Vultures...

Brian Hiller mudbat13 at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 20 19:18:30 EST 2009

 Regarding Paul's question of Turkey vs. Black Vultures overwintering here in CT, I live in Willimantic where there are often between 150 and 250 Turkey vultures roosting between October and April each year.  While there are certainly a few Black Vultures mixed in, they are typically outnumbered 10:1 by the Turkey Vultures.  I don't get down to the coast as much as I'd like so I don't know what the ratio is down there, but in my travels between Willimantic and East Hartford everyday, I see roughly the same ratio of TV to BV.  I would be interested to see what others are seeing for ratios both at roosts and out foraging.

Brian Hiller

Willimantic, CT