[CT Birds] Somers & Ellington birds

cekroth at comcast.net cekroth at comcast.net
Mon Dec 21 12:03:38 EST 2009

12/21, Somers, Hutton Rd.  In a mixed flock of about 80-100 birds, mostly HORNED LARKS, were at least 5 SNOW BUNTINGS and 1 LAPLAND LONGSPUR.  Ther birds were almost in constant motion so an accurate count was impossible.  They are a hardy group, those birds, feeding in the corn stubble in gusty wind and blowing snow.

Ellington, Meadow Brook Rd., I was looking for rough-legged hawks in some open farm country when I spotted an adult BALD EAGLE sitting in a tree.  No rough-leggeds.