[CT Birds] Westport(Spotted Sandpiper), Bridgeport, Fairfield Sightings

Tina and Peter Green petermgreen at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 23 14:52:30 EST 2009

12/23- Westport- Burying Hill Beach - The SPOTTED SANDPIPER continues.I stopped by about 11:30 today,two hours after low tide to check for it and within five minutes of searching,it flew out of the Mill Creek and landed on the Burying Hill side and then began working it's way up New Creek before I lost sight of it.Although there is quite a bit of ice and snow,there are still plenty of areas for this bird to forage.

          Compo Beach-4 HORNED LARK,1 BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT HERON in the cedar across from #5 Compo Beach Rd.

          Sherwood Island SP-7 HORNED LARK,3 KILLDEER,2 RED-TAILED HAWK,5 RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH,1 GREAT BLUE HERON

          Longshore Park- 1 AMERICAN KESTREL

         Fairfield-Penfield Reef-Rafts and rafts of COMMON GOLDENEYE in the water and gulls,HERRING,RING-BILLED,and GREAT BLACK-BACKED lining the reef all the way to the far end at dead low tide and also in the water.Conservative estimate for gulls-1000+,1 SANDERLING

         Bridgeport-Captain's Cove(Cedar Creek)-12 CANVASBACK,1 GREATER SCAUP

         Seaside Park(west end)-15 HORNED LARK

Tina Green

Westport