[CT Birds] Migration push

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed Dec 23 15:44:40 EST 2009

Seems large flocks of birds are on the move now.   At  Coventry lake I
counted 93 Common Mergansers, and I'm sure that is a very low  count.  Yesterday
I could only find 11.  I think the large flock may  have departed already,
however.  I also spotted a flock of about 30 Cedar  Waxwings in the brush
along the shore.  A few days ago the lake was about  50% iced over, but today
the wind had pushed the ice to the south end, and no  more than 30% was
covered.

On the Ellington-Rockville line near Rt 83 I saw the largest  flying flock
of Canada Geese I have ever seen.   I estimated at  least 800 birds and
again, that is probably low.  I was looking out over  some large corn fields and
could never see the whole group at 1 time.   Echelon after echelon of them
came by, sometimes 2 and three groups wide,  and  groups at several
different altitudes at the same time.  The only  time I have ever seen that many
birds at once is in videos of the mid-Atlantic  and mid-western flyways.
For those in the area near Rt 83 in  Ellington, the Agway is a great place
to buy winter feed supplies.  Only  place I have been able to buy
gray-stripe sunflower in several years, as well as  50 Lb bags of peanuts at a very
reasonable price.  Right now they have a  sale on some of the seed, and every
Tuesday they have a 10% discount for those  over 62, not that I know anyone
like that.  (No, I am not affiliated in any  way).

Don Morgan
Coventry