[CT Birds] Mass. Peregrine and yard birds

recoverywing at cox.net recoverywing at cox.net
Wed Dec 23 16:37:59 EST 2009

CT Birders --

 Happy Holidays to all!

Monday while driving on I91 as I passed through West Springfield  suddenly dead ahead was what I am sure (no glasses) was a peregrine that flew up and over the bridges in front of me just clearing a tractor trailer while I am yelping ohhh be careful!  A sudden strong gust of wind would not of been timely! Has anyone else seen a peregrine in this area?

As far as yard birds go these days, woodpeckers are abundant and plowing through the suet. A pair of Hairy's have been very vocal and a female flicker has moved into the great crested flycatcher box where she spends her nights. She is visiting the suet often. Pheasants that survived the gun club release are hunkered down in the side garden where they are close to a tray of food I put out for them and thawed water. I have been watching the numbers go down and have found the ever familiar feather piles in the woods where I am sure the coyotes and great horned owls are preying on them. If they would just sleep in trees at night! Early one morning this week I noted a beauuuutiful coyote out back and so I headed out to coax him away sure he was hunting pheasant. Once gone I could hear a pheasant alarm call and convinced I would locate the bird huddled under a bush, much to my surprise the male pheasant was high up in a red maple. I told him with that kind of evasive action he just might survive! Some years a male or two survives through the summer,  the calls and wing flap giving his presence away.

As is the norm there are well over a hundred house finches here again, with a  goldie mixed in here and there. There are appears to be about 12 or so bluebirds coming for mealworms and also eating hulled sunflower and suet. The mockingbird returned for it's fifth winter, landing at my feet late fall waiting for its handout.  He has been very grumpy lately and trying hard to chase away the resident robin who spends the winter and the bluebirds when I attempt to ground feed them when they are piling up at the mealworm feeder. The black capped chickadee who returned for four winters, alas did not return this year. Juncos and white throats in good numbers, and the song sparrows are feeling no stress as they have been singing the last few weeks ,crazy birds! Today I heard a tufted titmouse singing!

The clinic is rather quiet, with the current residents being  magnolia and yellow rumped and warblers, a ruby throated hummingbird, a baltimore oriole, barn and northern rough winged swallows, a tufted titmouse, and common grackle.

Jayne Amico/Southington