[CT Birds] Holiday Birds Semi Sand

Greg Hanisek ghanisek at rep-am.com
Wed Dec 23 20:43:47 EST 2009

These postings by Dennis in many cases show or at least suggest changes in
bird distribution and numbers over time. The reports of Semipalmated
Sandpipers from the 1950s show another kind of change, a change in
understanding. There are many older reports of winter Semipalmated Sands
that can be dug up in the literature, probably most often on Christmas Bird
Counts. I believe it was in the 1970s when careful observers began to
realize that there were few, if any, well-documented winter records for this
species within the continental U.S. (except occasionally s. Florida). It
became apparent that these older records were misidentifications, and any
that actually were small Calidris sandpipers were almost certainly Western
Sandpipers. 1950s records from CT would fall into this category. (With the
more recent trend of many species lingering deeper into winter, I think
there are a few well-documented recent winter records in the U.S., although
not CT, but I haven't had a chance to verify my memory on that).

Greg Hanisek
Waterbury