[CT Birds] Southport Survey #209

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Thu Dec 24 13:41:39 EST 2009

Southport Survey # 209

The sky was clear and Sunken Island was just starting to be exposed.
The Island could be identified by the flock of Black Ducks waiting
for the rocks to be exposed. One of the decoy Long-tailed Ducks from
last week was still there!

Off shore Long-tailed Ducks were scattered about, in the distance.The
Greater Scaup was paddling along fairly close to shore. It might have
been an injured bird. At Pine Creek Beach were a number of Mallards
and the Gadwall and Wigeon feeding in the rocks along with the Brant.
Normally the ducks hang out at Southport Beach.

The golf course ponds were frozen along with most of the Harbor. At
the upper end of the harbor were all the geese and more Mallards and
a few Hoddies. At the south end was the Bufflehead and more Hooded
Mergansers. . By the time I made it to Southport Beach the tide was
well out and I was surprised the number of shorebirds. The number of
Ruddy Turnstones is most remarkable. They have bee in the area
(mostly at Compo Beach) all fall

Dennis Varza

DATE	12/6	12/13	12/19	12/24
Tide	Low 	High	Rising	Falling