[CT Birds] Bloomfield Dickcissel

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 25 19:06:08 EST 2009

>From Jamie Meyers: 12/25 -- Woodland Ave. WMA/Flood Control area -- the DICKCISSEL found on last week's CBC continues, in the company of many sparrows including one interestingly pale SAVANNAH SPARROW.

The Dickcissel is a fairly nervous bird and doesn't stay still in the open for long.  It likes the phrag area and adajcent, weedy corn stubbled field which can be reached by parking in the dirt lot and walking a couple hundred yards out and to the right from the lot.  This is a very birdy area and today was loaded with sparrows of five different species, including lots more Savannahs than I am accustomed to seeing inland at this time of year.  Several times, the Dickcissel flew from the wet area into the farm field, giving a shrill call that to me sounded like that of a mini-Mockingbird.  It is fairly yellow on the throat down to the upper chest, and this is noticeable even in flight.  Today it had a single white feather sticking up off one wing, which was helpful in relocating it at a distance.

I took some mediocre photos of the pale bird, which was found and pointed out to me by a visiting birder from NY.  Until studying the photos better and consulting with experts, I'm not saying it's an Ipswich Sparrow, which would be a much rarer bird than the Dickcissel for the location -- but I'm not saying it's not, either.  It is strikingly pale when seen side by side with other Savannahs.

And to all a good night ....

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT