[CT Birds] More on pale Bloomfield Savannah Sparrow

Jamie Meyers ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 26 19:59:22 EST 2009

Just a quick note on the bird I noted in yesterday's Dickcissel report as a possible Ipswich Sparrow.  I have passed some photos around to folks who are more familiar with the subspecies than I am.  There is not a 100% consensus but more are in favor of it being an Ipswich Sparrow than not.  Unless convinced otherwise (and I have changed my mind on the topic a couple of times since yesterday) I personally would be counting it for my Bloomfield and Hartford County list if it were a separate species -- and many of you know how serious I am about those things.

It's definitely an interesting bird for the location, perhaps rarer than the Dickcissel it is loosely associating with, actually.  Worth a check for those so inclined to investigate such matters.  There are many sparrows in the area and lots of habitat in which they feed so refinding it might take patience, but the bird does stick out when seen, especially if in the company of regular Savannahs.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT