[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club January Schedule

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Mon Dec 28 14:04:21 EST 2009

Here is the schedule for the New Haven Bird Club's January activities.

Larry Bausher, Publicity Director

Indoor Meeting:

January 14, 7:30 PM. Dolores Gall - Mark Catesby: The Colonial
Audubon.  Free and Open to the Public.
One hundred years before John Audubon created his monumental works,
Mark Catesby published The Natural History of Carolina, Florida, and
the Bahama Islands, a two-volume set with more than 200 hand colored-
illustrations. Our speaker will discuss the natural history of 18th-
century America and illustrate her talk with many images from
Catesby’s work. In 1712, the young Catesby had begun describing,
collecting, and painting the plants and animals of the American
Southeast. He first had the idea of placing a bird with an element of
its environment, which added a layer of scientific value to the
Illustration. Catesby’s book included the first images of the
mockingbird and Ivory-billed Woodpecker and a number of other animals
unknown in Europe. When Linnaeus wrote his Systema Naturae, he relied
heavily on Catesby’s illustrations of New World species to develop
his survey of the animal kingdom. Tonight’s speaker is a retired art
historian who worked in Yale’s galleries and taught at  Albertus
Magnus college. The U of Virginia has created the following website
with images for Mark Catesby's 1743 two-volume work The Natural
History of Carolina, Florida and the Bahamas Islands: http://
Social half-hour at 7:00, program begins at 7:30.  For more
information: www.newhavenbirdclub.org or call 203.488.3876.

Field Trips:

First Wednesday Walk: Sherwood Island St. Park, Westport
Wednesday, January 6, 9:30 AM (Note later start time). Free and open
to the public.
Enjoy this mid-week trip to a great birding spot on Long Island
Sound. We’ll check for loons, goldeneye, grebes, crossbills, and
other sea ducks. In the fields we may find Snow Buntings, Horned
Larks, and sparrows. Meet at the main parking lot in the park.
Contact— Tina Green: 203.247.2660, tina at renaissancestudios.com

Milford Birding Tour.   Sunday, January 17, 7:30 AM.   Free and open
to the public.
Visit the many birding hotspots in Milford. We’ll look for waterfowl,
rare gulls, birds of prey, and wintering shorebirds. Our stops
include Mondo Ponds, Caswell Cove, Milford Point, Silver Sands State
Park, and perhaps another location or two. Meet at the commuter lot
on Schoolhouse Road just south of Exit 35 on I-95.   Leader—Chris
Loscalzo: 203.389.6508, closcalz at optonline.net.

Barkhamsted Reservoir and Vicinity.  “Hart to Hart: New Hartford to
Sunday, January 24, 7:30AM. Free and open to the public.
We travel north on Rte.8 through the Naugatuck River Valley to
Torrington, then on to New Hartford’s Maple Hollow. We continue to
Lake McDonough and Barkhamsted Reservoir, and make  several stops
along Rtes. 181 and 20. As winter weather allows, we drive some roads
in both Peoples and Tunxis State Forests. Our list of northern
species may be short, but the scenery is great and the birding fun.
Plan on a hearty soup-and-sandwich lunch in a warm local restaurant.
Dress well! On our ‘03 trip there, it was 15°F. Meet at Amity
Shopping Center, Woodbridge off Rte. 63 for our venture to the rural
northern heartland of CT. Leader—Steve Broker: 203.272.5192,
203.747.6843, ls.broker at cox.net

Hammonasset State Park, Madison.  Saturday, January 30, 8:00 AM. Free
and open to the public.  Join us on a visit to this CT birding
hotspot for a mid-winter excursion. We’ll be looking for sea ducks,
gulls, larks, longspurs, Snow Buntings, and rarities. In recent
years, several Western rarities have turned up here, including Lazuli
Bunting and Western Tanager. We’ll check out the entire park,
including the campgrounds. Meet at the Nature Center parking lot at
Meig’s Point.
Leader—Chris Loscalzo:  203.389.6508, closcalz at optonline.net