[CT Birds] tagged gulls

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Dec 28 17:51:24 EST 2009

I spotted a tagged gull 2 weeks ago and reported it to the  Mass. site.  I
just received a reply today, see below.

Here is the link to the Ma. site with info on the tagging  program:

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/waterSupply/watershed/study/index.htm
"Don,
Yes, you saw  one of our gulls.  Thanks for the sighting!  The tag number
on this  gull is actually A196.  The A is obscured by the wing feathers.
When  we got to the triple-digit (>99) numbers, we had to move the “A” above
the  number.  You can kind of see a little writing in the second picture.
The letter is not the important part, but the color and the number are.
Also, we only put one leg band on the gull because we are out of the colored
leg  bands until they can make us some more.  So it just has the federal band
on  the right leg.
Now, here is  some specific information on A196:
Captured  12/7/09 at Kmart Plaza, Rt. 5, Holyoke, MA
Map of capture  sight:  42.18613, - 72.63094
Captured using  a rocket net baited with bread and crackers
Adult female  ring-billed gull
Florescent  yellow wing-tags: A196
federal band:  0994-03397
released on  site
Sightings:
This is the  first sighting of this gull- Thank you!
Thanks again  for the sighting, and please let me know if you see it (or
others)  again.
Ken"

Ken  MacKenzie
Senior  Wildlife Biologist
DCR- Division  of Water Supply Protection
180 Beaman  Street
West  Boylston, MA 01583
508-792-7423    x313