[CT Birds] Cooper's hawk eating grackle

Katz1449 at aol.com Katz1449 at aol.com
Tue Dec 29 09:28:07 EST 2009

In my Orange backyard at 8:55AM (what I believe)an immature  Cooper's
hawk(yellow eyes and rusty striped chest, white  supercillium) grabbed a lone
Common grackle by the forsythia bushes.   Wings were covering his
prize catch as it plucked black feathers which flew  everywhere.  Cooper's
started eating the grackle, then moved it further  into the backyard and
continued eating.  Then he flew off with it.   Interesting excitement in the
yard.  I don't know how to post a picture,  but I will send the picture to a
few people privately and hopefully can  confirm the identification.  The
white supercillium made me think of a  Goshawk (Sibley's p.113)
Bev Propen