[CT Birds] sharpie not Cooper's

Katz1449 at aol.com Katz1449 at aol.com
Tue Dec 29 11:04:17 EST 2009

Thank you Jim  for the correction and Identification tips  on the female
immature Sharp shinned hawk eating that grackle in my yard.   Very much
 It's a female imm Sharp-shinned hawk.  The markings  on the breast are
similar to cooper's but the coop markings are more tear drop  shaped and
markings rarely go all the way down to the legs as in this  bird.  The light
supercillium and skinny legs also says Sharpie.  I  say female just because a
male would have one heck of a battle on it's hands  with a grackle and even a
female is close to it's limit. Coops sometimes show a  light supercillium but
when they do so it is most often much shorter than the  full one this bird
Bev Propen