[CT Birds] winter orioles - caution

Julian Hough jrhough1 at snet.net
Wed Dec 30 23:15:06 EST 2009

We seem to have seen a few more reports than usual this winter of lingering orioles. While most are likely to be Baltimore Orioles, the unearthing of at least one male at Hammo, seen by several observers, was actually a  Bullock's x Baltimore on closer inspection (Szantyr  & Bonomo), reinforces the need for us to take a closer look at any oriole at this time of year.

Separating Bullock's and Baltimore in non-adult male plumages can be tough, so if you do see one, it would be wise to consider Bullock's, or obtain photos if possible, of any individual that appears somewhat "off a little".

The appearance in past winter's of Scott's Oriole's in Central Park also remind us that even these "southern" species should be on our radar..

Best for the New year to all,

Julian Hough,
CT, USA
jrhough1 at snet.net