[CT Birds] Hammo 12/31 and Dowitcher question

Gedney gedney at cshore.com
Fri Jan 1 11:45:53 EST 2010

>From Rick Gedney:

12/31 THUR  - Hammonasset State Park - 12:00 AM - 1:00 PM

Lunch break drive through...
Northern Harrier (2)
Cooper's Hawk (1)
GB Heron (2)
Am. Black Duck (100+)

Predators and dabblers appear to take advantage of the high Blue Moon flood tide which pushed the dabblers up to eye level and must have put some prey species on the move. Harrier's appeared imm.

I see the report of the 2 LB Dowitcher from 12/28...I had a lone basic plumage Dowitcher sp. on 12/27  in the rain/melt pools on the south east end of West Beach parking area.  (BTW there is a great article on Dowitcher sp and sub sp ID in Birding Sept/Oct 2006 by Lee and Birch).
Since LB migrate a little later than SB... are late Dowitcher sp. more likely to be LB?   Late birds more likely to be prairie or western in origin?