[CT Birds] merlin, red-headed +

cekroth at comcast.net cekroth at comcast.net
Fri Jan 1 15:31:41 EST 2010

1/1/10, Somers, Hutton Rd, 1 MERLIN, >100 HORNED LARKS

Windsor, Northwest Park, RED-HEADED WOODPECKER persists, 1 BROWN CREEPER,

E. Windsor, Broad Brook Pond, I stopped at about 2:30 to check out any waterfowl that might

 be there and there were about 70 Canada geese.  At  about this time Canadas started coming

in to the pond.  Wave after wave came in from the north east, there had to be at least 2000.

They were swirling around some clockwise, some counter clockwise, some over flew and

returned.  It was truly a sight to see and the noise was something else.  In the midst of the

maelstrom were 10 SNOW GEESE.  After they all landed I scoped as best I could, as

they were tightly packed, for a white-fronted but could not find one.