[CT Birds] Fairfield birding

eyeflight16 at optonline.net eyeflight16 at optonline.net
Sat Jan 2 15:54:56 EST 2010

I endured the biting winds today to do some birding in preparation for the CBC tomorrow--although the weather looks 10 times worse tomorrow :(  Very quiet in general.

Penfield Reef: The usual birds

410 Herring Gulls
120 Ring-billed Gulls
5 Great Black-backed Gulls
11 Brant
2 Long-tailed Ducks
130 Common Goldeneyes
8 Sanderlings
5 Red-breasted Mergansers
1 American Black Duck

Jennings beach: Devoid of birds

1 American Tree Sparrow--literally the only bird in the area

Ash Creek: Water levels highest I have ever seen them before-- good waterfowl, but no passerines.

1 Northern Harrier
21 Herring Gulls
11 Ring-billed Gulls
2 Mourning Doves
7 American Robins
19 Canada Geese
76 American Black Ducks
31 Mallards
12 Bufflehead
11 Hooded Mergansers
14 Red-breasted Mergansers

South Pine Creek: Also very high water levels-- opposite of Ash Creek-- no waterfowl (hunters cleared them out), lots of passerines

47 Canada Geese
2 Mallards
1 Sharp-shinned Hawk
1 Red-tailed Hawk