[CT Birds] KITTIWAKES, RAZORBILLS, GANNET

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 2 19:04:24 EST 2010

In our part on the New London CBC today, Jan 2, Sara Zagorski and I rode the New London ferry to Orient Point, NY.  We took the 8am boat across, and returned on the same boat that headed back at 10.  Snowfall, propelled by decent winds hampered visibility at times, but not sufficiently to result in a very successful trip.  Highlights were:

CT Waters
4 BLACK-LEGGED KITTIWAKES - all adults; great views of 2 singles in flight, and then 2 distant adults flying together.
5 RAZORBILLS - great views of 3 singles flushed by the boat and 2 together sitting on the water.
1 NORTHERN GANNET - 1 adult just 20 minutes after leaving the dock, but surely not visible from land due to snow.
2 COMMON EIDERS - adult males flying north from the direction of Long Island.
1 DOUBLE-CRESTED CORMORANT - at the NL ferry dock.

NY Waters
1 RAZORBILL
1 large alcid, sp.
2 NORTHERN GANNETS
1 ICELAND GULL - 1st-cycle along the beach right at the Orient ferry dock.
1 GLAUCOUS GULL - 1st-cycle along the beach right at the Orient ferry dock.
5 COMMON EIDERS - near the ferry dock.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford