[CT Birds] so many JUNCOS !

Jim Zipp jimzipp at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 3 10:03:01 EST 2010

Good winter to hone our junco observation skills.  Lots of variation to be enjoyed in this species, maybe even uncover some western subspecies.

Patrick Comins, Meriden.

Since finding an unusual junco I took to be a possible Dark-eyed Junco/White-throated Sparrow showed up under my feeders a few weeks ago.  A quick email to Mark Szantyr who has a special interest and knowledge of these guys also thinks it's a good possibility.  Makes it even more fun watching the feeder birds on a day like this.  To see a photo of the one I had look here

and for a great article on these hybrids in general see Marks article and illustrations here.

Happy New Year,