[CT Birds] Hammonasset Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker and Fox Sparrows

Sally Brown sbrown01 at snet.net
Sun Jan 3 14:34:02 EST 2010

While birding at Hammonasset this morning, saw a juvenile Yellow-
Bellied Sapsucker in trees surrounding campground parking lot.  When
he flew to another tree, his yellow chest was striking.

Also saw two Fox Sparrows at start of Willard Island trail underneath
pine trees feeding with White-throated Sparrows and a pair of
Northern Cardinals.

Both of these birds were firsts for me (so hopefully they are the
correct identifications).  I caught the shot of the White-throated
Sparrow charging one of the Fox Sparrows as the latter jumped in the

(Note: photos are poor quality but also hopefully adequate for
identification purposes.)

Sally Brown
Branford, CT