[CT Birds] A few Questions

martin swanhall mswanhall at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 3 18:49:27 EST 2010

Happy New year!

Just got back from a few days in Naples/Fort Myers area of Fla. and have a few questions:

1.  Is the Lousiana Heron in my edition of Peterson the same as the Tricolor Heron in Sibley?

2.  Why was by spotting scope stopped at security and then wiped down with a cloth disc of some kind - were they looking for traces of gunpowder/explosives?  YIKES

3.  I observed a mockingbird patrolling trees around 3 houses against starlings and grackles.  But I also saw near by a bird silimlar in size with a shorter tail and through binocs black on face - was this a loggerhead shrike?

Also went to Sanibel/Captiva but not with birders - they idea of birding is to walk a beach  :-(

Thanks,

Marty now back in Woodbury