[CT Birds] Recent weather and birds

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Mon Jan 4 09:48:47 EST 2010

The recent cold weather and snow is shifting birds around. There can be no better example than the recent discussion of Juncos at feeders. Other moves to watch for are the concentration of Eagles along large open rivers, waterfowl at open water, raptors and owls shifting southward, and of course what shows up at our feeders. With the concentration of birds at feeders we will of course see more accipiters at feeders as well. In regards to waterfowl we should see increasing numbers of Canvasbacks and Scaup. Watch for Redheads among them. Also expect to see fresh water birds in odd places, like Pied-billed Grebes on salt water as an example. Other species to watch for is Tufted Duck among Scaup or Ring-necked Ducks and Tundra Swans among Mute Swans. Cold snaps and snow can often bring good birds (as well as good cross-country skiing conditions!) so stay alert to new characters among the usual suspects.

Dave Provencher
Naturally New England<http://naturallynewengland.blogspot.com/>

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.