[CT Birds] Willet! etc

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 4 18:29:12 EST 2010

>From Greg Hanisek, Bill Banks, Randy Domina

1/4 - Stratford, Johnson's Creek (just off I-95 ramp onto Lordship Blvd.) one WILLET feeding at low tide c 7:30 a.m. A real CT winter rarity. I'm only aware of 2 records deep into the season - one that wintered on the West Haven side of the Oyster River mouth in 1996-97 and one that stayed into January at Griswold Point in 2004. There are 3 older records from the first half of December. Conventional seasonal thinking would make this a "western" Willet but I can't say that categorically based on our binocular views.
Long Beach - one SNOWY OWL (found by Jim Zipp and AJ Hand) Visible on marsh from end of parking lot
Warehouses - One KILLDEER
Causeway over Great Meadows - One AMERICAN KESTREL
Birdseye boat launch - 8 AMERICAN COOT
Dock behind Shakespeare Theater - One PIED-BILLED GREBE, adult BALD EAGLE, 7 GREAT CORMORANTS
Stratford Point - one E. MEADOWLARK, one AM. PIPIT, 8 SAVANNAH SPARROWS

New Haven, Long Wharf - mixed flock of LESSER SCAUP, GREATER SCAUP, RUDDY DUCKS
Lighthouse Point - one PURPLE SANDPIPER on jetty behind Lighthouse
East Shore park - one AM PIPIT

Madison, Hammonasset - SHARP-SHINNED HAWK, COOPER'S HAWK, MERLIN, 50 YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS

Stratford, Sikorsky Airport 4:30 p.m. - 30+ BOAT-TAILED GRACKLES

Five Northern Harriers throughout day; a few Common and R-t Loons; just 3 gull sps; one Black Vulture coming down Rt 8 at Derby in a.m.