[CT Birds] Free Willy 3, help remove invasives from Hammonasset's Willard's Island

COMINS, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Mon Jan 4 20:19:57 EST 2010

The Menunkatuck Audubon Society is seeking volunteers to help remove invasive plants from Hammonasset's Willard's Island.

Date: Sunday, January 10, 2010
Time: 10:00am - 12:00pm
Location: Hammonasset Beach State Park, Madison, CT
DescriptionWillards Island (“Willy”), at Hammonasset State Park, is being taken over by invasive plants! Oriental bittersweet is crowding out the native trees and reducing valuable food sources for birds and other wildlife. • • • Please join the Menunkatuck Audubon Society and the Friends of Hammonasset to “Free Willy” of this invasive plant BYO: Loppers or Pruning Saws Meet at Willard's Island trail entrance, located at the far left end of Nature Center parking lot Hot drinks, chili, chowder, etc. will be available at the Meigs' Point Nature Center for all volunteers at noon. ***** Hunger does not end when the holidays are over. We ask all volunteers to please consider bringing non‐perishable food items that will be collected and distributed by local food pantries to assist families in our community. *****

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation
Audubon Connecticut
pcomins at audubon.org