[CT Birds] Willet (subspecies?) continues in Stratford

edward.raynor at maine.edu edward.raynor at maine.edu
Tue Jan 5 13:49:47 EST 2010

Hello,
I have not seen anyone mention anything about the Stratford Willet's
subspefic identification. Are people assuming that it's the western
form or has anyone thought about identification to subspecies at all?.
The eastern form is not known to winter in eastern North America
instead it winters on the eastern coast of South America. The western
form is recognized as a wintering shorebird of the southeast and gulf
coasts. I've heard that a possible split may happen, which may get
some twitchers to pay more attention to Willets.

Good birding,
E.J. Raynor
back in Louisiana

Quoting johnrmarshall at aol.com: