[CT Birds] Stratford Willet pictures and more

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 16:15:32 EST 2010

Here are a few close pictures of the Western Willet from 9:30 this morning:
http://picasaweb.google.com/kbosch/WesternWillet#

I shot about 2 minutes of HD video that I am uploading now. It should be
ready later this evening, and I will post a link then. Other notable birds
from today are below.

I did NOT see any owl species anywhere in Stratford or at Milford Point
during the morning/early afternoon.  I did have a juvenile RED-SHOULDERED
HAWK that is notable only because I watched it dive into the edge of the
half-frozen Gallinule Pond and come out with a small frog to munch on.

 From Scott Kruitbosch:
01/05/10 - Stratford, Johnson Creek - 1 WESTERN WILLET providing good views
while feeding in the low tide close to the road at 9:30.
Stratford, Long Beach -- 1 ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER, 1 IPSWICH SAVANNAH
SPARROW, 4 LAPLAND LONGSPUR, 9 HORNED LARK, 2 NORTHERN HARRIER with one
feeding on the frozen remnants of a Brant. I wonder which of the many
predators present yesterday killed it.
Stratford, Stratford Point -- 1 AMERICAN PIPIT, 4 SNOW BUNTING, several each
WHITE-WINGED and SURF SCOTER, 7 HORNED LARK, 9 SAVANNAH SPARROW.
Stratford, Raven Park Pond -- 3 NORTHERN PINTAIL.
Stratford, Washington Bridge -- 3 PIED-BILLED GREBE.

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Connecticut Audubon Society
kbosch at gmail.com