[CT Birds] RI shore 1-7-08

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Thu Jan 7 19:46:20 EST 2010

Took a ride to the south shore of RI today, stopping at various  shoreline
overlooks from Weekapaug to Point Judith.  Nothing unsual for  varieties,
but I saw more Common Eider today than I have before in all my  life.  I saw
hundreds, I'm sure there are thousands, spread out along the  coast in every
conceivable location.  They are off the shoreline as far out  as a scope can
see, Pt Judith was surrounded by them.  The breachways had  flocks working
the incoming tide between the jetties.  The harbor at  Gallilee had hundreds
spread over  the entire inlet and pond.  Flocks  were hanging around the
fishing boat docks just like a bunch of gulls.   (The gulls looked rather
Quonnie Beach, 1 Sharp-shinned Hawk, 2 Horned Grebes (only ones  I saw all
Charlestown Breachway: 2 Northern Harriers, 1 Rough-legged  Hawk
I saw far fewer grebes and Common Loons than I did last year in  the area,
and not a single Red-throated loon.  No Short-eared Owls that I  know of
have been reported in RI yet this year.  There was at least one  Harrier at
just about every location I stopped except Pt  Jude.
Don Morgan
Coventry  (CT)