[CT Birds] Duck Posting

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jan 8 16:08:36 EST 2010

This is an age old (computer posting age that is) question. Historically
there has been little truth to the claims but I'm sure it does happen at
times and Hank's message is a good reminder that any info or comment sent to
CTBirds or any other online forum is available to the whole world. So we
should always consider whether we want everyone to see what we are writing
when we post. Having said that, it must also be noted that specifically
targeting a rare duck is not something most hunters are interested in and
actually bagging a rare duck is pretty darn hard to do given it is one bird
among many and seeing a rarity is much easier than achieving a situation
where one could actually shoot that particular bird. So I guess what I'm
saying is I would continue to report rarities unless the location/situation
is unusually easy for a trophy hunter to exploit. If I saw a Redhead in a
flock of 1,000 Scaup on Long Island Sound for example, I would think the
Redhead's chances of being shot out of that crowd were pretty darn low.
However if the situation were a Garganey found on a pond in a Wildlife
Management Area, I would only spread that by word of mouth.

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England