[CT Birds] Rusty Blackbird/eBird and data collection

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 16:46:16 EST 2010

 From Scott Kruitbosch:
01/08/10 - Stratford yard -- 1 male RUSTY BLACKBIRD.

A winter tradition at my place. I hope he sticks around a bit.

There was a mention of Junco numbers on this list recently. While I like the
fact so many of you are paying such close attention to changes in visitors,
wouldn't it be great if you could compare specific numbers? A feeling of an
increase is one thing, but having the numbers to back it up from previous
years is so much better. If you aren't already doing so PLEASE enter all of
your feeder data, field notes, etc., into eBird. It really makes a
tremendous difference.

For example, I have been assisting Twan as he puts together a list of
species and occurrences for each month for the Stratford Great Meadows
Important Bird Area. The process would be *much *easier if all of the
wonderful sightings by the great birders Connecticut has were in eBird. It
took/is taking an enormous amount of time to track down thousands of
sightings for well over 300 species. I am sure there are loads of data and
information which we still do not even know exists.

I beg you, please - use eBird! Don't be afraid to ask for help if you have
any questions or are looking to start. It has improved a great deal in the
past year, and it will continue to. This data is vitally important to
conservation efforts in Connecticut and across the country, and it will
enhance your understanding of birds and your own backyard.

Speaking of backyards, here is my eBird data from today:

Location:     Stratford Home & Feeders
Observation date:     1/8/10
Number of species:     28

Turkey Vulture     1