[CT Birds] Birder Arrest

Donna sunny19682 at comcast.net
Sat Jan 9 12:41:21 EST 2010

I find this totally appalling that people sometimes just can't mind their
own business - especially in public places frequented by birders.  Although
I understand the need to be cautious in this day and age, what ever happened
to innocent before proven guilty?  Why don't the police worry more about
nailing all the stinking people driving while on cell phones that are on a
day in and day out basis more of a menace than a person out birding?  Would
it make sense that we all band together and carry certification from local
bird clubs that we all are birders and have a license to carry our scopes
and bins and camera equipment in the name of a healthy activity or even in
the science of birding?  WOW!!  I now have to worry every time I go out with
scope and camera in hand?  Granted, I notified all my neighbors that birders
would be frequenting our street when the white-winged dove visited, but
sheesh!!!  To be arrested or confronted for supposedly stalking?  All the
more reason to say there are way too many people who don't see the value of
engaging in a healthy non-violent activity like birding.

Donna Lorello
Branford