[CT Birds] Birds and cops

MHMooreP at aol.com MHMooreP at aol.com
Sat Jan 9 14:49:42 EST 2010

If you are not yet bored with cop/birding stories, here's another. I was
working in Hartford several years ago, and had just bought a new scope from
Jim Zipp. I was telling a coworker and fellow birder about it, and he asked to
see it. We went to the upper floor of the garage where I was parked, took
the scope out of the trunk and set it up to view ducks on the Connecticut
River. After a few minutes two police cars came at us from opposite directions
and screeched to a stop, hemming us in. Exiting their cars with hands on
holsters, they ordered us to step back from the "apparatus." We explained that
we were trying out a new birding scope and they quickly relaxed. They told
us that someone from a nearby building had reported two guys on the garage
roof with a ground-to-air missile. (There is heavy aircraft traffic in the
area.) With the issue resolved we and the cops spent several minutes spotting
and identifying ducks and gulls. Everyone enjoyed the new scope.
Marty Moore