[CT Birds] South Pine Creek--lots of hawks

eyeflight16 at optonline.net eyeflight16 at optonline.net
Sat Jan 9 15:49:29 EST 2010

1/9/10 Fairfield, South Pine Creek.

Although chilly, it was a relatively nice day and I saw some great birds.

Highlights were:

17 Hooded Mergansers--biggest single flock of hoodies I have ever seen
2 Great Blue Herons
2 Red-shouldered Hawk-- one of which was a beautiful adult that landed in a tree 7 feet away from me while I was spishing.
1 juvenile BROAD-WINGED HAWK--- I don't know how uncommon this is, but this is the latest I've seen one
1 Red-tailed hawk
2 ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS-- This is new for South Pine Creek and Fairfield altogether for me
1 Red-bellied Woodpecker
2 Winter Wrens--- it seems that the first was joined by a second
4 Gray Catbirds--- most I've ever seen here in the winter
1 Fox Sparrow

James Randall
Fairfield