[CT Birds] birders, police and the public

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Sat Jan 9 15:58:36 EST 2010

I understand entirely people's feelings about harrassment and  worse from
the police and the public when bird watching.  I've been there  myself,
thankfully in only a limited way.  Most recently was in Stratford  only a month
or so ago, in the parking lot at Short Beach when I was scanning  the
pond/marsh behind the beach.  I was parked in the circle at the   end of the lot
which faces towards the marsh, a location marked with parking  spaces.  As I
was scanning the marsh with my  binoculars I heard a car pull up behind me
and saw that it was a Stratford  cruiser.  I didn't think much of it, and
having spotted a few ducks I went  to my car and got out my scope.  As I was
setting it up I heard the  cruiser pull around the circle and stop again,
followed by the cop walking up to  me and asking what I was doing.  Frankly I
thought it was pretty  obvious.  However, I calmly explained that I was a bird
watcher and wanted  to see what kind of ducks were at the far end of the
pond.  I received a  few more probing questions.  Finally I guess I convinced
him because he  said he had to be careful because of the proximity of the
airport.  (This  was well before the xmas undie bomber, btw). He went on his
way, and that was  the end of the incident.
Frankly, I considered that both ridiculous and outrageous.  First of  all,
Stratford is possibly the most heavily birded town in the state, and I  was
within eyesight of the Audubon Center at Stratford Point, and even closer to
 the Center at Milford Point.  I find it very doubtful that a cop could
spend 1 day on patrol in the town without encountering a birder or 2.
Secondly, Stratford has had a spring Birding Festival for at least  the  last
couple of years, which presumably is meant to promote birding in the town,  not
discourage it, and the police should at least be aware of that.
The point of all the above is simply that you can never take it for
granted that police or the public are aware of what it is you are doing, much
less have any sympathy for it. Particularly when dealing with the public,   we
need to assume that they have no clue what we are doing, nor do they have
any  interest in or knowledge of it.  I will have to say, frankly, that it
might  well look suspicious to find someone poking about the neighborhood with
a pair  of binoculars, possibly in camo clothing.
I am familiar with Paul Peterson, from the MASSBird list, and knowing how
avid a birder he is I doubt he was doing anything other than what he says.
Obviously, neither I nor anyone else really knows. Bottom line is to always
give  a little thought to what you are doing, and particularly how it might
look to a  non-birder.  If you do get approached/confronted by police or
the public,  swallow any irritation you have and patiently explain what you
are doing with a  smile on your face.  In fact, we are often approached by
people who are  just curious what we are looking at, and most birders I know
are happy to give  an explanation and maybe even a peek through the scope or
binoculars.   That can only promote education and good will, and maybe
avoid a disagreeable situation somewhere down the line.  It's unfortunate,  but
today's world is a different place from what it was 25 years or more ago,
and at times boundaries are much more well defined.  I was very well aware
of that situation when in southeast Arizona last August, when I was
questioned  several times by both local police and the Border Patrol (rather nastily
at  that) on what I was doing, even though I was in the middle of nowhere
and  minding my own business.   And obviously, we know that area as a  birding
hotspot and a very popular destination.  If we are to pursue our  avocation
we must be prepared to deal with the possibility of potential  conflict,
and the only way to come out on top is to be open and affable, even  though we
may not feel so inclined.

Don Morgan
Coventry