[CT Birds] birder arrest

eyeflight16 at optonline.net eyeflight16 at optonline.net
Sat Jan 9 16:13:34 EST 2010

I have never had any problems with birding and the law, but then again I have really only been birding for about 3 years now. I cannot believe the incident that happened in MA with Paul Peterson. I do not know him, but I do know he discovered the MacGillivray's Warbler in Boston so he must be an excellent birder. I can understand if a cop was questioning a person, but is it really necessary to be thrown to the ground and then have your $300 binoculars taken? Now, this may not be what really happened, but I still find it very disturbing, especially because Paul said his enthusiasm has gone down about birding, and, as Alex Burdo mentioned, that is not easily replaced. I pity Paul and hope he is doing alright, and I think that policeman should be a little more calm with suspects.

James Randall
Fairfield