[CT Birds] Birding and Police, a different take

Mark Szantyr birddog55 at charter.net
Sat Jan 9 21:55:53 EST 2010

Having the distinction of being a birder who was arrested for criminal
trespass on my very first visit to the "old" Milford Point ( all charges
dropped and the complaintant warned to stop harassing birders), I want to
say that in subsequent encounters with police I have had nothing but
respectful questions and then warm interest in what this birding thing was
all about.
This may be an unpopular view, but while out at all hours of the night
owling in some rather remote and sometimes unsavory environments, I have
regarded their concern as a comfort.  I always thank them for checking on me
for if I was indeed in need of assistance, I was glad to know they were
around.

Mark
Mark S. Szantyr
80 Bicknell Road #9