[CT Birds] Birding and Police, a different take

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 10 07:30:37 EST 2010

I was waiting for this to die off, but I actually agree with Mark here.  In this day, we can not be suprised when alarms are raised, and I'd much rather have th police on the ball then not looking into something.

Last Christmas Eve I was birding Great Meadows, 2 Stratford cops pulled up and ran my tags and ID because there were hunters where they shouldn't have been.  They saw my binocs and guides and truck filled with like materials, radioed in that I was just watching birds, then went back to business.

About 2 minutes later, the cop was on the loudspeaker calling out two bow hunters hiding, waist-deep, in the marsh grasses behind the 'trail pond'.  The police thought I was their ride out.  In that specific situation, I am very glad they followed up.  What if a Shoveler was in the pond?  Or a Eurasian Wigeon in the gut?

They are only doing their jobs.  Which can not be easy, especially when so many of the population disgregards them and are uncoorperative.  I know I am not the only one whos taken 'a few more steps' on the grass, or 'just a little closer' to the property....

Brian Webster

Stratford, CT

b.webster at hotmail.com