[CT Birds] Winter Eagle Count at Nod Brook WMA

zellene sandler zellene at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 10 10:26:15 EST 2010

January 9th was the annual CT mid-winter eagle count, and I walk the
Farmington River at Nod Brook WMA in Avon/Simsbury. No eagles...haven't
seen them there in the years I have been counting. But, two very close
golden-crowned kinglets and a couple of cedar waxwings made it worth the
cold walk.

As a warning, there is active hunting at Nod Brook although many folks walk
their dogs there while shots are being fired. I turned around when I heard
a shot...my devotion to birding only goes so far! Please remember to wear
orange when in state forests or other hunting areas. No hunting on Sunday,
so that's always safe.