[CT Birds] Birding and Police, a different take

Boletebill boletebill at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 10 11:44:48 EST 2010

Like most long time birders I too have had my interactions with police.  In the mid '90's I went through an owl phase and after the second middle-of-the-night questioning I just started a policy of calling the local police, giving my plate # and telling them what I was up to.  Never got bothered after that and I do the same for night time salamander surveys.

I had a scary encounter at Hammonassett Reservoir birding when a Water Co. cop and local police tracked me down in the woods and grilled me about what I was doing so near the water supply.  It took a lot of talking to convince them that I wasn't a terrorist about to poison the water supply.  As many have said about this I wasn't mad and I'm glad someone is watching our water supplies and now I generally avoid birding off trail on water supply land. Yes I was off trail. Mea culpa.

 My nightmare scenario happened at Ninigret Wildlife Sancuary. I was birding-by-car, that is driving slowly along the roads and airstrip listening for different birds.  I passed the swimming pond twice during my circuit and when I left the park State Police pulled me over, guns drawn and extracted me from my car.  It seemed a woman at the swimming pond thought I was looking to abduct a child from the park. Apparently someone had attempted that earlier in the summer and this woman was "Certain" it was me.  Everything was cleared up in short order but phew, that was scary and ruined a whole day of my vacation.

 I know a lot of people have had their say on this and many are ready for the subject to fade away but one thought that I have about these experiences is this:  Doesn't this cry out for some kind of educational outreach between Birder organizations and local police, Park personel, State police?  Just a thought.

Bill Yule