[CT Birds] Winter Eagle Count at Chester CT on the CT River

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jan 10 13:16:18 EST 2010

On 9 Jan., Charlie Barnard & I also did the DEP Eagle survey.
At Saugatuck Reservoir in Weston we found 2 adult Bald Eagles, a few Common Mergansers and Ring-necked Ducks, 1 Great Cormorant, and a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.  No eagles were found on the frozen Aspetuck, Hemlock and Samp Mortar Reservoirs.

In the afternoon, Larry Nichols and I found the ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER and 1 adult Bald Eagle in Stratford at Long Beach West.  The warbler was feeding on dead goldenrod heads on the dune in front of the cottages, quite a walk from the parking lot.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford