[CT Birds] DEP MWC program

zellene sandler zellene at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 11 09:23:03 EST 2010

Bill Yule mentioned the Master Wildlife Conservationist program offered by
the DEP. I went through the training a few years back, and it is one of the
best experiences I have had!  The course is a forty hour training, much of
it held at Sessions Woods in Burlington. Persons accepted must pledge to
give back at least 20 hours of volunteer time a year. Training includes
study of CT ecology, mammals, birds, plants, and all of CT wildlife, as
well as how to present information to the public and so much more!

After completion, folks can volunteer for projects such as bird surveys,
leading interpretive walks, manning booths at fairs, hunter education,
giving talks on various topics, and many other activities that the
understaffed DEP cannot do on their own.

The coordinator of the program is Laura Rogers-Castro at Sessions Woods.

Zellene