[CT Birds] Bird window strikes, interesting ABC article

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jan 12 13:40:22 EST 2010

Got my "Bird Conservation" magazine (Winter 2009-2010) from the American Bird Conservancy (ABC) yesterday. There was a most interesting article in this magazine by Christine Sheppard entitled "Reflections on Windows and Efforts to Prevent Collisions". I found the following in this article most interesting:
"ABC has an active research and testing program, looking for products that warn birds away with minimal change in the appearance of glass. One solution is a type of film that looks clear to us, yet is composed of stripes with varying degrees of ultra-violet light absorption. These contrasting stripes make the window highly visible to birds, whose vision extends well into the UV end of the spectrum. If tests of this film prove effective, our hope is that demand will spur glass manufactures to market bird-safe glass that uses the same technology built in." (into the glass).

Hopefully this might work and then the "market place" demand will get glass makers to put the UV material in glass they make.

David W Bbaington
Washington, CT