[CT Birds] CT Harlequin occurrence

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Tue Jan 12 15:16:01 EST 2010

In reference to my previous comment that the birds location was a bit unusual, Paul Buckley graciously sent me a note on the Harlequin's natural vs escaped origin pointing out that "ten or more years ago there was a Harlequin on a small inland stream in southern Westchester County, NY, as well as a number of other non- Great Lake birds in upstate NY." Obviously (and sadly not surprisingly) I was unclear in my wording on the location being a bit unusual. I should have worded my note to more clearly state that an inland occurrence in CT of Harlequin Duck during winter is unusual. In point of fact inland streams are in no way unusual habitat for Harlequins, indeed it is their breeding habitat (Could be called Northern Torrent Duck??) Though the species typically winters in coastal waters, finding an individual during winter (or especially during migration) on a stream or river is not at all surprising. It's just we don't happen to be graced with such an occurrence in CT very often, alas.

Dave Provencher
Naturally New England<http://naturallynewengland.blogspot.com/>

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.