[CT Birds] Farmington Harlequin

mntncougar at aol.com mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Jan 12 19:38:30 EST 2010

I arrived around  9:45 this morning and found 3 people  already on the bird
so I didn't have to hunt (thanks Roy, Greg,  Neil).   Bird is very active,
preening, diving and just swimming up  and down the river behind the
cemetery.  Very cooperatively, it seems to  confine itself to that stretch of
river.  I birded in that area all day,  and stopped back several times.  I was
able to find the bird each time, and  when I finally left around 3:20 pm it
was still there.  At one point, as I  walked up to the river bank, an immature
Bald Eagle swooped out of a tree right  in front of me and made a pass at
the Harlequin and 3 F Hooded Mergs it was with  - fortunately he missed.  I
checked out the Farmington Meadows without much  success, except there was a
lone Ruddy duck in the river by the community  gardens, and a Belted
Kingfisher in the same spot..  As I drove back up  Meadow Rd I spotted 2 Bald
Eagles, 1 adult and 1 immature, flying directly  over the road.  There were also
(at least) 4 Ring-necked Ducks (3 M 1  F) and 1 F Greater Scaup together.  I
flushed a group of 4 Wood  Ducks from the river right in front of me at one
point.  There were also  Common and Hooded Mergs in the river, Black Ducks,
Mallards, and of course, C.  Geese.  Nice place to bird and nice bird to
see.

Link to some bad record shots of the Ring-necks, Scaup, and  Harlequin:

http://www.photoshop.com/user/mntncougar/?wf=share&galleryid=fc361e219b58432
2aa1ab44b82872535&trackingid=BTAGC

Don Morgan
Coventry