[CT Birds] Harlequin Duck part 2

snaketat at cox.net snaketat at cox.net
Wed Jan 13 12:10:22 EST 2010

I just spoke with Kem Appell and he hasn't had Harlequins for 2 years.  I then called Livingston Ripley Waterfowl Sanctuary and their pair of Harlequins is accounted for.  Kem told me that Livingston and himself were the only two places in CT that has/had Harlequin Ducks and that there is only one person that he knows of that breeds them in captivity, a Arnold Schouten of  Washington state.

So in conclusion, if this bird is of captive origin, it did not come from CT and I personally do not know of any zoos or private aviaries in Massachusetts that has Harlequin Ducks.  I would recommend that all observers take careful notes and fill out reports in great detail to send to the rare records committee.  Keep an eye out for leg bands (I know its almost impossible with an active diving duck), but pretty much all valuable captive waterfowl have (usually) brightly colored leg bands.  If this bird does not have any leg bands then I would say it is very likely of wild origin ~ either way it is still a great find!

Brian Kleinman
Riverside Reptiles
www.riversidereptiles.com
860-653-2535