[CT Birds] Housatonic River

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Wed Jan 13 15:58:12 EST 2010

Hi Folks

During the deepest part of the winter I try to make a survey of the
Housatonic River From Stevenson Dam to the end of Ice to get an idea
of abundance and distribution. Considering the cold weather of the
past several weeks I figured this may it. However the amount of Ice
on the river was not that great compared to other winters. Still, we
could get another big freeze in February and I'll do another one

Dennis Varza

The Housatonic River was free of Ice from Stevenson Dam through
Oxford. In Seymour, the river was mostly frozen with open patches,
while in Derby it was completely frozen except for the area of the
Derby Dam. The River became mostly frozen again through downtown
Shelton to the Merritt Parkway Bridge. Below bridge the water is open.

Housatonic River
 From Stevenson Dam to Seymour/ Indian Well St. Pk.
Derby Dam to Naugatuck River
Lower Shelton and Upper Stratford to the Merritt Parkway

Canada Goose	147	-	-
Mute Swan	4	-	-
American Black Duck	32	-	-
Mallard	12	55	-