[CT Birds] Southport Survey #212 +

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Thu Jan 14 16:32:57 EST 2010

Southport Survey # 212
The morning was clear and warm enough not to need gloves. The water
was calm, turning flat by the end of the survey. Off shore there were
flocks of Black Ducks. rarely have I seen more than 100 birds on the
survey. The other change was an increase in Horned Grebes. Again, Red-
breasted Mergansers were hanging just off  shore.

The Golf Course and the harbor continue to be frozen as before with
the only open water by the bridge and the channel out to the Sound.
Most of the Hooded Mergansers and Canada Geese were by the bridge.
The coot made its appearance again. Where it was the past month I
know not.  The Bufflehead were just off Southport Beach. The Gadwall
were at the mouth of Sasco creek

I made a stop At Burying Hill Beach to not see the Lesser Black-
backed Gull again. So, I made a count instead. The difference between
Fairfield and here was striking. There were a lot more Long-tailed
Duck, Common Goldeneye and Horned Grebe

Dennis Varza
Fairfield

DATE	12/24	1/5   	1/10	1/14