[CT Birds] Stratford Woodcock Eurasian many hits!

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 18:01:15 EST 2010

 From Scott Kruitbosch & Charlie Barnard:
01/14/10 - Stratford yard -- 2 AMERICAN WOODCOCK, 1 WINTER WREN, 1

 From Scott Kruitbosch:
01/14/10 - Stratford, Stratford Point -- 1 EURASIAN WIGEON, 1 HORNED GREBE,
Stratford, Roosevelt Forest -- 1 RED-BREASTED NUTHATCH, 2 GOLDEN-CROWNED
Stratford, Great Meadows IBA - 1 COMMON RAVEN, 1 ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK, 1

I had not been out much in the past week - this was just one of those days
where it feels like you're on fire. The Woodcock were absurd. I nearly
stepped on the first one. It stood up and slowly walked away from me as I
was two feet from it. It proceeded to go about it's business, even doing a
little wobbling as it foraged a bit. It hunkered down in a spot to rest, and
when we relocated it later, Charlie was nearly standing on it. Truly
amazing. The second was not as friendly and was flushed.

Stratford Point hits were all in the short to moderate range distance in the
waters around the point itself basically. Roosevelt Forest had plenty of
birds around the parking area, especially since a kind person put a good
deal of birdseed on the picnic tables. The IBA hits were all around the
airport. It was not only a very good day, but one that took minimal effort.
My only miss was the Wilson's Snipe at the boat ramp. I checked all the
usual areas and came up empty.

See? Besides how important it is to check your local areas, you might not
even have to leave your property to find rare birds.

Scott Kruitbosch
Connecticut Audubon Society
Stratford, CT
kbosch at gmail.com