[CT Birds] No Harlequin (yet)

Roy Harvey rmharvey at snet.net
Fri Jan 15 09:21:26 EST 2010

Passing this along from Sarah Hager Johnston, who originally found the Harlequin Duck.

I checked the usual places this morning (cemetery, Grist Mill, access point off Meadow Road) and did not see the Harlequin Duck, but since he moves around quite a bit he may turn up later. Other waterfowl seen there this morning include Common and Hooded Mergansers, the pair of Wood Ducks, several Ring-Necked Ducks, Lesser Scaup, Black Ducks, and of course all the Canada Geese.

I note that the water level in the river has risen somewhat since Tuesday, so the formerly turbulent areas are much smoother now and probably less appealing to the Harlequin Duck. The place where I watched the duck for 1.5 hours on Tuesday morning is now quite smooth. However, the water below the dam at the nearby Grist Mill restaurant is nicely choppy. Several Common Mergansers were there this morning, birds with which the Harlequin Duck has been most closely associating this week (though it tends to be a loner).

Roy Harvey
Beacon Falls, CT