[CT Birds] Harlequin

Jan Collins jgcollins at cox.net
Fri Jan 15 15:53:25 EST 2010

1/15/10  Riverside Cemetary, Farmington  11:45-12:30 PM  HARLEQUIN at bend
in river behind cemetary where Poquabuck (sp?) comes into the Farmington.
I was a bit disappointed at first when I found him (thanks to a couple other
birders who were there) because he did not look nearly as stunning as the
Harlequins I am used to seeing in RI and Cape Ann, etc in the winter time.
So I checked my Nat Geo bird book and he is a dead ringer for the 1st Winter
Male so guess that is the consensus?
He was diving quite a bit, sometimes near the 2 LESSER SCAUP and then came
quite close to the bank and sat preening for quite a while for good looks at
his reddish sides and somewhat speckled belly.

Jan Collins